The internet is amazing; children can play, learn, create and connect. However, we must make sure all children are taught how to stay safe online. As Parents, you play a vital role in the Online Safety education of your children. Although you cannot be there every time your child is online, you can give them the correct information to help them protect themselves. All children are taught how to keep themselves 'safe', as far as possible, when using the Internet.
Highlees Primary School's 'Internet Safety Policy' is regularly reviewed by staff and Governors. We take internet safety very seriously. The Digital Leaders recently launched 'Captain Connectwell' who helps Highlees children to make sensible and safe choices online.
We were so excited to receive the Silver Certificate of Excellence for online safety and digital citizenship. One of just 16 schools in the UK and the ONLY school in Peterborough!!!!
Rules for Responsible Internet Use
The school has installed computers and Internet access to help our learning. These rules will keep everyone safe and help us to be fair to others.
- I will use only my own login and password.
- I will not look at or delete other people's files.
- I will not bring disks or memory sticks into school unless I have permission.
- I will only email people I know and my teacher has approved.
- The email messages I send will be sensible and polite.
- When sending an email message, I will not give out my home address, phone number or arrange to meet someone.
- I will ask permission before opening an email or attachment sent by someone I do not know.
- I will not use internet chat rooms.
- If I see anything I am unhappy with or I receive messages I do not like, I will tell a teacher.
- I know that the school may check my computer files and can monitor the Internet sites I visit.
- I understand that if I deliberately break these rules, I could be stopped from using the Internet or computers in school.
Please look at these Internet Safety websites for more ideas on how to stay safe on the internet.
The links below are some of the websites we use in school to help your children stay safe:
There are also two e-books to read:
You can also download the 'Stay SMART' leaflets below.